Monday, 11 November 2013

Desperation Crafts #2: No Fail Fall Art

CarrieThisHome.comWe don't do Halloween here in Mumtopia (more about that here) but there's plenty to celebrate during this season of "mists and mellow fruitfulness" (I don't know who wrote that, but well done whoever he was), and one way we like to do it is through the medium of art.

I realise that sounds utterly hippie/ pretentious. All I really mean is that I like to give the kids plenty of creative things to do on rain-lashed days, so they don't spend every waking moment watching Penelope Pitstop, and I don't mind joining in.

One such project is No Fail Fall collage, which is simple, cheap, and, if I say so myself, effective. It kept Prima, Secundus, my mum and me all enjoyably busy for a couple of hours one wet afternoon.


What you need:
  • Scissors
  • Glue sticks
  • A large piece of paper or A4 sheets of paper sellotaped together.
  • Magazines with plenty of colour photos.
  • For uniformity, if you are a bit of a perfectionist (comme moi), you could make some templates out of cereal box card. I did templates for the acorns, acorn cups, toadstool tops and stalks, and flowers, but the leaves were all free-hand.
Method:
  • Draw a variety of autumnal leaves, berries, nuts etc on suitably coloured pictures from magazines and catalogues, and then cut them out. 
  • Cookery, fashion and gardening pages/ adverts often have good colours and textures for this kind of project, especially if the photos are enlarged. This can also be a good opportunity to discuss the methods companies use to make people buy their products, if you are feeling particularly "right on". 
  • Stick them onto a large piece of paper, grouping flowers, toadstools etc, or just in a random fashion.
  • Be pleased.
Mumtopia

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute craft. Love all the pictures you chose. Thanks SO much for sharing at the Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I love to get your feedback and read each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...