Thursday, 17 October 2013

Attacked: I refuse to sink

Today's a day when I'm especially glad to be part of bloggerland. I really need supportive, like-minded people around me at the moment. Sometimes it's easier to be open about things with people who aren't involved or affected.

I was indecently assaulted yesterday, walking home from a yoga class, 3.45pm, in daylight, on a main road.

I'm determined not to let this experience beat me, although it has left me shaken and angry. Mumtopia is supposed to be a blog about positive things, I know. I'm writing about it because the police have been very supportive and have taken me seriously, and I absolutely know that, just a generation ago, I wouldn't have been listened to. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to swear and shout at my attacker, and that it was not a prolonged or more serious assault. It was also a chance to show my children that I can be strong, and the North Yorkshire police are there to help us.


I had to give my apologies for a meeting at school yesterday evening so I could give a witness statement (I was open about what had happened - I refuse to be ashamed); today I received a bouquet of flowers from the school. And I am lucky enough to have a family who love me and friends who care.

I suspect the man who groped me doesn't.

Hah.

11 comments:

  1. I will keep you in my prayers. What a terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I am so very sorry that this happened to you. But I am grateful that you have posted it on your blog and also have talked about it to other people (at the school). You are a very strong person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Yes I wanted to be open about this. We shouldn't be ashamed or brush this kind of thing under the carpet, or think it is something that women just have to put up with.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my, what a terrible to thing to have happen--but wonderful that you've had such a positive, supportive response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlene. Yes, the response I have had has really reminded me that most people are kind and good out there, and it is still a beautiful world.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry this happened! I'll send prayers your way. I hope they find that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How terrible! I am so glad you are OK and being open about the experience! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry this happen to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I love to get your feedback and read each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...