Monday, 16 September 2013

Vaseline + Old Sock = Restoration ROCK



My leather jacket, which I bought during my 2010 Goth phase, is the most expensive item of clothing I have ever owned, including my wedding dress. I love it like an old friend but I don't exactly lavish it with care. The more beat-up the better, right?

Not where plasterdust is concerned.

Or rain.

Or being scraped by a staircase as it was carried through the hall where said jacket was still hanging.

Sinfully neglected, my precious jacket was looking less "biker" and more "dragged through a hedge backwards". At this rate, I'd have to replace it within the decade and I had no intention of doing so.


Needless to say I wasn't going to PAY anyone to restore it, so I began researching and eventually found a plausible solution in Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things (Readers Digest): Vaseline.

I first applied a small amount on an inconspicuous area (if any part of a leather jacket can be described as inconspicuous) and it didn't burst into flames or corrode the stitching, so I decided to through caution to the wind and rub it in all over whilst listening to Valerie by The Zutons. This is what I call High Risk Behaviour. You can see in the photo above that the left hand side has been treated and the right hand side is still dull.

After rubbing in and allowing to sink into the the leather, I wiped of the excess petroleum jelly with an old sock. Obviously don't get your best Argyles out for this task. I didn't exactly buff it to a shine but you could do if that's the look you're after.

Result: softened but still nicely-aged leather and less obvious scuffing. There's life in the old dog yet. Hence the ROCK self-portrait. I am aware that I look like a member of T'Pau circa 1986. It'll be leather trousers next.




2 comments:

  1. What a great idea~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I'm really glad it worked!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I love to get your feedback and read each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...