Sunday, 8 September 2013

Dig for Victory #4

Super successful this year, my courgettes are still coming thick and fast, but luckily I didn't plant them all out at once in the Spring, so they aren't all needing to be eaten on the same day. Not so with the lettuces which all seemed to bolt overnight. The fruit trees are laden with apples - it looks like it will be a bumper harvest - and there are many plump blackberries in the hedgerows. So blackberry and apple crumble it is!




Eventually we got a small show of Prima Ballerina sweet peas and Cosmos Double Click Rose Bonbon which looked pretty in the front garden - especially next to the lavender bushes (where the bees are still going crazy) - but there weren't many enough for us to pick posies. I will put all my efforts into edible crops next year. The King has hinted that he may make a cold-frame, which would help no end.

The Victory element for the courgettes is the fact that the Evacuees, neither of whom will give a courgette the time of day, have been eating them all summer. This is thanks to my trusted blender which makes it so easy to disguise vegetables in dishes such as this newly discovered bacon lasagne and of course in tomato sauce for pasta and homemade pizza. This pizza was made using a pizza base mix, which I know is a cheat, but it is a choice between that and not making pizza at all, so I think it is a reasonable compromise for live yeast-shy people like me.

Even though we don't attend church services, it is a time for being grateful for the food that we have. I'm especially thankful when I think of the food rationing that took place in my parents' lifetime. I hardly know what hunger is like. Our country really needs a good harvest this year and I have been looking into buying more local, Yorkshire produce, and from a more ethical supermarket (they do exist!). 

More about that another time, as I ought to get started on this week's Creative Home and Garden Hop! 

Even as the season changes, our hop stays fresh and fun. It's the perfect fit for all of your wonderful posts on creative home-making and gardening, whether you live in the suburbs, the city, or out on the range. While you're here, meet The Creative Home and Garden Hop hosts: Kathy from Creative Home Expressions, Mary from Back to the Basics and Mary’s KitchenAlison (that's me) from Mumtopia and Lisa Lynn from Little Homestead on Hill. We'd love it if you would like to follow us!

Week Seven's featured posts here at Mumtopia are:  




garden supplies for free

and My Love for Words' Meal Plan and Shopping List Printable

Meal Plan & Shopping List PrintableDon't worry if you didn't get picked this time.Prudent Living OTHF Each host will share her own features each week. This means you have an even better chance of being picked! Be sure to visit all of our hosts to see if your post was featured!

 If you were featured, feel free to grab the "Featured Post" button and share it on your blog with a link back to here! 

Mumtopia

Would you like to write a post for Mumtopia?
Before you link up, would you also let me know if you would like to write a guest post for Mumtopia, by leaving a comment below? You can read some FAQs about that here. Anyone who linksup at this blog hop is welcome! 

Blog Hop FAQs
How many posts can I link up?
Share up to three of your Creative Home and Garden posts. Link your posts once. Please do not link the same post you linked last week! Let’s keep it fresh and fun! Etsy sellers are welcome to share here too.

How do I link back to the hop - have you got a button? 
Please link back to the hop in your post. If you don’t take a couple of seconds to do this, you won’t be featured. That happened last week, actually; there was a post I wanted to feature but no text link or button included in it, so I couldn't. You can grab our cute button (which is in the sidebar on the right) or use a textlink in your post. Thanks for sharing the hop with others!

What is the point of a blog hop?
The whole point of a hop is to build a community of like-minded bloggers who share and support each other. Pretty please, with cherries on top, go visit as many of the other bloggers posting as you can! We all love to hear from our visitors, so please leave thoughtful and kind comments when you visit!

What else do I need to know before I link up?
By linking your posts here you are assuring us that all images and contents are your own, or you have permission to share them. You are also agreeing to let us share your post and images on social media and our blogs. 
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section below. 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry if my blog looks like it needs a bit of a spring clean. I have just installed a new background and template - please bear with me while I get used to it! Hope you like the new look. Thanks for joining in with the blog hop. xx Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison, looks pretty neat to me or are you done sweepin,lol! I love the background actually.

    I just have to say that I love pizza and I'll make it from scratch in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts. I love to get your feedback and read each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...